I know this is a controversial procedure, but I'm always thinking of ways to improve my speakers/acoustics/electronics etc.--and bottom line--overall sound quality. I know that to remove bug screens from 802-8G's, you need to cut them out with a knife. I'm just not going to do that -- I'd feel like I was taking a knife to the Mona Lisa. They sound amazing and I just won't deface them. However, I've heard that there's an easy and reversible way to remove the bug screens from 902-8A drivers (that I have in my Model 14's). I can't find the tread with our current search feature here, but I know someone here mentioned it once.
Question 1) Anyone know how to remove the bug screens from 902-8A drivers? Is it located between the driver and the Mantaray Horn? Do I just unbolt the driver from the horn and pull out the screen?
Question 2) Has anyone tried this with ANY classic Altec Lansing h.f. driver? Did you noticed increased clarity, or better imaging, or better h.f. sound in general (or anything else or any combination of the above)? Does any resulting "change" cause the driver to be out of spec--are the screens factored into the design and does removing them makes the drivers "too bright" or too loud or "wrong" in some other way?
Question 3) These speakers sit in my living room. If I remove the bug screens and notice an improvement in sound, is there a downside? I don't have bug problems here, but will that allow dust into the driver and cause problems down the road? Or does dust get through the screen anyways and get "blown out" when I crank them up!? (so, no downside?).
I'm in a tinkering mood--thanks in advance for any input....








Bookmarks